OpenSolaris Network WTF
I have an older IBM Thinkpad R40. It has a build of OpenSolaris on it from the fourth quarter last year. I have been trying to get the Intel Centrino wireless card to work on it, and playing around with nwam. I enabled nwam last week, had no success (it detects a jillion wireless access points out the window of my office but won’t connect to any of them) and I disabled it again and switched back to manual network configuration. Now, when I’m on a wired connection, it works for a while and then forgets which device is the gateway device and I lose my network connection. Going into the network administration panel and setting the gateway device usually gets it back for a couple of minutes, but then it goes away again. It’s very frustrating.
So far, I’ve used svcadm to ensure that the nwamd is disabled and the svc:/network/physical:default service is enabled, which is how it was setup before I enabled nwam initially. I’m not sure where I should go next. I was just about ready to do a live upgrade on this machine anyways, so I might just do that and see if the problem fixes itself. I’m running Solaris on this box to try to become more familiar with the intricacies of Solaris, since we have a few storage servers in production running Solaris, but I need this machine to at least work on a basic level, otherwise it’ll be back to Ubuntu on it.